Monday, July 19, 2010

O Love That Will Not Let Me Go - George Mattheson

George Mattheson wrote this on the eve of his sister's wedding. A few years previously George had been engaged to be married himself, however, when he began going blind his bride-to-be decided that she could not handle the responsibility of taking care of a blind husband and left him. His sister decided to take him in and take care of him. But now on that night his sister was going to start a new life with her new husband. Mattheson did not let the sadness distract him from his Savior's love. He sat down and in that one sitting he penned this beautiful hymn of ever lasting love. God has used this hymn in my own life many times bringing to it mind when I am at my lowest. I thought there might be some out there that would benefit from reading these encouraging words.

O Love that wilt not let me go,
I rest my weary soul in thee;
I give thee back the life I owe,
That in thine ocean depths its flow
May richer, fuller be.

O light that foll’west all my way,
I yield my flick’ring torch to thee;
My heart restores its borrowed ray,
That in thy sunshine’s blaze its day
May brighter, fairer be.

O Joy that seekest me through pain,
I cannot close my heart to thee;
I trace the rainbow through the rain,
And feel the promise is not vain,
That morn shall tearless be.

O Cross that liftest up my head,
I dare not ask to fly from thee;
I lay in dust life’s glory dead,
And from the ground there blossoms red
Life that shall endless be.

No comments:

Post a Comment