Saturday, November 26, 2011

Confessions of a Chatty Girl - Part 2: God's got something up his sleeve

Waiting on my background check continued.  I wasn't incredibly surprised because I knew that background checks can take a while and the company wanting to hire me didn't really strike me as a business that was really on top of things.  I hate to sound prejudice but you can only expect so much from people who wear cargo shorts to work everyday (Just kidding!).  So I continued sending out emails, praying, and holding on to any hope that God threw my way.

I had received a tip from a colleague back in Lynchburg about a company in the area he knew of that was in the office furniture business, something that I had experience with at Liberty.  So I began more actively following that lead.  The contact responded to my email and wanted to meet with me, even though at the moment he didn't think he would have anything solid to offer me.  I went to the interview praying that he would take one look at me and my resume and hire me on the spot.  Well, that wasn't in God's plans because I walked out of the interview without a job.  But I would not be dismayed because I did, however, get an invitation to a reception he was having for the architectural and design community in Chattanooga to celebrate some new fangled office chair or some such nonsense.  I was excited for the opportunity to network and hopefully get my name out there.  Who knows maybe someone at the reception will take one look at me and my resume and hire me.  Yes, I am that optimistic.  As the day of the reception got closer I began thinking that I should probably have business cards to take with me to hand out.  God tapped into my inner kid wanting playing grownup to light a fire under me to get those cards made.  I set about putting a design together (FYI: VistaPrint is the way to go!)  With business cards in hand, I headed to the reception hopeful and praying the whole way.  I met a few people and even got my cards in the hands of a couple.  There was no offer that night, surprise surprise, but I left praying that my cards would do some work for me.  Well, my cards decided to be lazy that week.  I got diddly-squat from them.  I continued to pray.  I was thankful I at least had a job in the works even though I wasn't sure if I could rock the cargo short look.  It made the rejection and the disappointment and waiting just a little more bearable.  

During this time, I really began to get involved at North Shore.  I had started going to the small group in my area and began to really get to know some of the dear people there.  Before I go any further I would like to say that what I am about to tell you may seem very random.  I promise this all has a point that will be made clear, I am not getting off on a rabbit trail and I must share things this way because it is the best way I know to highlight God's all encompassing plan and providence and to give him all the glory for his intricate will that he sometimes reveals.  

Now as I was saying... 

One Sunday I was sitting behind a couple that I had yet to meet.  After we had sung a few songs the woman turned around during our time of greeting those around us and was complimentary of my singing voice.  I thanked her and thought nothing of it, except that it was a nice stroke to my ego (little glimpse into my heart for ya).  We went through the service and sang a few more songs at the end.  As soon as the benediction was over the woman turns around and blurts out "Would you be at all interested in singing in the choir?"  I was a little surprised and was not really sure what to say.  I didn't even know there was a choir and I had just barely learned this woman's name, which was Linde, by the way.  I told Linde that if there was a need I would be willing to offer what I could.  She lit up.  It was almost like a secret alarm had gone off that only choir members could hear because before I knew it choir members were popping up everywhere around me like a game of whack-a-mole and it was all I could do to remember names and keep track of who's hand I was shaking now and why I was smiling so profusely.  Linde called over one last woman named Jenny.  She was incredibly sweet and welcoming and I instantly liked her.  She was charged with the duty of getting my information to the choir director standing just several feet away because my legs had apparently broke unbeknownst to me in all the excitement.  Jenny asked for my information so I handed her one of my cards I still had in order to save time trying to track down the ever illusive pen and paper that always seem to disappear somewhere in the catacombs of your purse at times of great necessity, leaving you with nothing but a piece of what you think is unused tissue and having to bum a crayon off the 5 year old near you.  Thankfully my card saved me from such a charade.  With my card in hand she was off to her mission and I was off to lunch never suspecting how God would use this new acquaintance to fulfill such a grand scheme he had up his sleeve.

To be continued . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment