Monday, August 30, 2010

Just a Little Liturgy

Liturgy is fundamentally the order of worship. Something that my church, Mercy Presbyterian and many other churches, do is a two part tradition of Confession with an Assurance of Pardon as a part of our liturgy. The first part is usually a time of personal confession including and followed by a cooperate prayer of confession lead by an elder. After this the elder or pastor reads to us a passage from Scripture as our Assurance of Pardon. So there is a little background for those of you who might not be familiar with something like this. That being said here is a bit of personal and possible coorperate liturgy :)

Lately God has been showing me very clearly how incredibly arrogant I am. I assume that I know best. I think I have everyone figured out. I think I have myself figured out. Just thinking about it I am flooded with two thoughts. One of disgust and one of laughter at my own ridiculousness. Nothing puts me in my place faster then Job 38:1-42:6. The passage is really long but it only proves how much God does that we have no comprehension and no awareness of. We don't know the first thing about how to run a universe. For crying out loud we can't even figure out our own lives! My favorite verse of this passage is 38:2-3:

"Who is this that darkens My counsel with words without knowledge? Brace yourself like a man; I will question you, and you will answer Me."

And that is just the beginning. How could we even think that we have any right to question God's will? Where do we get off trying to tell God how its done? I have to confess I like planning my future. As I said in my last post I like everything wrapped up in nice paper with a big bow. I like to know what to expect with my life. Well news flash to Rachel! Fat chance!

"He looks down on all that are haughty; He is King over all that are proud." (Job 41:34)

You would think that I would get it by now that planning doesn't work. But no. I still lay in bed at night as I am falling asleep imagining what will happen in a few months or years time. And I am always surprised when they don't go my way! HA! Now you see why laughter is one of my reactions. I am utterly ridiculous. My only prayer after this passage is that my response to God's direct rebukes would be the words of Job in 42:1-6:

"Then Job replied to the Lord: I know that You can do all things; no plan of Yours can be thwarted. You asked 'Who is this that obscures My counsel without knowledge?' Surely I spoke of things I did not understand, things to wonderful for me to know. You said 'Listen now, and I will speak; I will question you and you will answer Me.' My ears have heard You but now my eyes have seen You. Therefore I despise myself and repent in dust and ashes."

God's assurance of pardon:

"But seek His kingdom, and these things will be given to you as well." (Luke 12:31)

No comments:

Post a Comment