Sunday, May 20, 2012

Confessions of a Chatty Girl: Definitely Not So Single White Female


Part 4

I did not realize that I was going to be posting what I am about to write nearly as soon as this but I must say that I am not complaining about the timing of everything.  

May 19, 2012
Last Night 

I had several girls from church over for a girls night.  We were all talking and having a lot of fun and we had just started a movie.  He had been texting me off and on throughout the evening asking how things were going and what not.  At one point around 10:15 I get a text asking how much longer the girls were going to be there tonight.  I said I didn't know but that it would probably be another hour or two as we had just started watching the movie.  He then asked who all was there.  I told him.  A few minutes later one by one the girls phones started to go off signally a text.  I didn't really pay much attention to this.  I went to the bathroom for a moment and while I was gone I heard excited whispers and a few chuckles.  I come back out into the living room and all noise ceases.  Everyone is watching the movie VERY intently and trying to hide smiles on their faces.  I automatically and curious about what I missed and still why I had not received a text at the same time as the other girls.  

I sit back down on the couch and no sooner had my backside hit the cushion than I heard a knock on the door.  Instantly I think what in the world.  I answer the door and it is him standing there with a big grin on his face dressed in a nice shirt and jeans and looking very handsome I might add.  I also noted that looked like he was about ready to jump out of his skin.  I said "What are you doing here?"  He said "I have to steal you."  In a tone that made it clear he was not asking but telling.  That got my attention for sure. It is very attractive when he takes charge like that.  I am a little taken aback and I look to the other girls trying to think how to explain what is happening and they have already begun packing up their stuff and practically had one foot out the door already.  In a bustle of activity I grabbed my keys and shoes (forgetting my phone) and was whisked off into the night by the guy of my dreams (cheesy I know sorry but I kind of like him a lot so deal with it).  

AS we are driving in the car I am thinking "Oh my gosh, oh my gosh! This is not happening.  He is not proposing is he?"  As we drive along we talk about our days and swap stories of things that happened.  And then I figure I need to do some investigating.  I start bringing up particular subjects like "I was talking to mom about wedding dress shopping and she asked if it would be weird doing it without a ring because as far she knew I wasn't going to be getting one before June unless I knew something she didn't."  He answers very nonchalantly "I was looking at some rings today and I think I can have a ring by June still."  I try desperately to read him.  He was actually doing a pretty good job.  I tried to think back to when he could have talked to my dad and when he could have gotten a ring.  I couldn't think of any unaccounted for time in the past few days so the doubt became even larger.  I knew he had been acting suspicious the last couple of days but as far as I knew he was just planning something special for our 4 month which was coming up on Monday and he was planning on doing something on Sunday the last I had heard not tonight!  "So where are we going?"  I ask.  "Somewhere." He deflects.  We drive up Lookout Mountain and head towards Covenant College.  We pull into the parking lot and he looks anxiously to the other cars.  I am not sure why he is finds the other cars so interesting all of a sudden but we start walking toward the looking out point.  There is a little bench there where you can sit and enjoy the view.  We get up to the place and instead of looking out at the view he is looking rather anxiously at the ground below us.  Suddenly I hear him call out "Kukaw kukaw!" like a crow.  This doesn't necessarily phase me because this is not so out of the ordinary for him to do random funny things like this.  After standing there a few moments I say, "What was that?"  He shrugs and says, "I don't know I just felt like doing that.  I think there is a fountain over here!"  I follow him to the fountain and think, "Seriously?  You brought me all the way to see a fountain?  This couldn't have waited until tomorrow?"  "Oh look there are fish in the fountain!"  In my head, uh great who cares about a fish?  Outloud I say, "So, why are we up here again?"  "Oh, uh, to look around and see the city lights and stuff."  In my head, uh huh, sure..."Kukaw, kukaw!"  In my head, ok one time was ignorable but two times is suspic... "Whoo, whoo!"  Was that a response I heard?  I hear a twig snap to my left and then there is a flash of light and I look over and see a dark figure in the shadows that looks familiar.  I turn back to him and he says, "So I prayed that God would bring me someone to help me do ministry, because I knew I couldn't do it alone.  So He brought me you."  He gets down on one knee, pulls out the ring..."So will you be my wife?" 

Needless to say...I said YES!!!!!!     

TTFN!
The future Mrs. Rachel Miller

P.S. That dark figure was his roommate and there will be pictures of the moment coming in the very new future :)

1 comment:

  1. so exciting - thank you for sharing and can't wait for pics!

    ReplyDelete