Monday, May 14, 2012

Confessions Of A Chatty Girl: Not So Single White Female

Part 2

January 1, 2012
New Years Day - Sunday

My parents and brother were in town to help me move.  We sat with a few of my friends.  I had not seen him since before I left for St. Louis to spend Christmas with my brother.  I took my family with me to Sunday school and a few of the people were talking about the New Years Eve party that I had missed, the night before.  He walked in just as everyone was telling stories of the night and it struck me that he was A LOT cuter than I remembered.  He carried himself in that same relaxed and easy way and it looked good on him.  Maybe I did like him?  During the class they had asked those on CYAM leadership to stand up so that the new people could know who was on the team.  He stood up.  I hadn't realized he was on leadership.  Another point in his favor.  After class as we were leaving I had a very strong desire to talk to him.  I had left almost immediately and he had stayed back to talk to a few people.  I was trying to figure out what to say and then I remembered that I could talk to him more about my dad being from Indiana since my dad was there and could fill in any blanks in my information.  We talked for a few minutes and then my family and I headed to lunch.  As my dad and I were walking to the car he said almost absently, "You know, he really reminds me of Jamie McBride." (My very dear friend's husband).  This is big because my dad doesn't usually make such complimentary comments about guys so this instantly caught my attention.  And for the rest of the day he was in the back of my mind just kind of hovering.

Over the next several days...

I had kind of ampt up my Facebook stalking.  I was impressed by several stati that he had posted on biblical things and some of his incites on Old Testament passages were very intriguing.  Then I saw a very eye catching post, "...parents coming to see me get ordained as a deacon on Sunday..."  I text my brother right away, "Dude! He is becoming a deacon!" "Wow really? That is pretty impressive." "I know right?!"  So, not only was he on the leadership team for CYAM but he was also being ordained as a deacon.  Whenever I thought of deacons I thought of middle aged men with several kids in high school not a young single and might I add cute guy.  Another point in his favor.  

January 8, 2012
Ordination Day - Sunday

I had decided to go to the ordination service for several reasons.  One of which was I hadn't seen an ordination service in several years and I was curious to see how a church with robes and a choir did it.  And obviously I wanted to support my new friend...ahem.  My plan was to just sneak in the back and sneak out without being seen.  I didn't want to him to know that I had kinda sorta started getting maybe a little bit of a crush.  Okay, so I had the game plan.  We are set.  Sneak in, sneak out.  Piece of cake.  Walk through the doors of the church and boom there he was right in front of me talking to couple of men.  No problem.  He is busy talking he probably didn't even see me.  We are good, we can still make it in without being noticed (when I am being stealthy I apparently talk in third person).  I am just about past him when I hear in my right ear, "Hi there."  I try to play it off.  "Oh hey." Like I didn't know he was going to be there.  "Where are you sitting?"  "Oh I don't know, in the ba..."  "You can sit with me and my parents if you want."  And there went the final nail in the coffin for my stealthiness.  We walk down the aisle together and sit in the VERY FRONT ROW.  He introduces me to his parents and I awkwardly wave to them as I contemplate how my plan could have gone so horribly off course.  His parents were lovely and were very welcoming of me to their pew.  I sit down next to him noting to myself that he smelled really nice.  My mind is racing.  What do his parents think?  Do they find this awkward?  Does he find this awkward?  Is it only awkward because I know that I think he is cute?  Is he just being nice to me?  Is he interested?  We go through the service much like this.  He gets up to be installed and he is youngest guy up there by at least 15 years.  Needless to say I was again impressed.  As I was sitting there watching him take his vows I kept thinking to myself "Is it weird that I find this hot?!"  He comes and sits back down and I am thinking to myself, "Okay there is no denying it now.  I am totally into this guy."  After the service was over he stands up and says, "Me and my parents are grabbing dinner. You want to come with us?"  I pause trying to weigh the level of awkwardness with how bad I didn't want to stop being around him.  I figure it was worth it.  "Sure!"  A few other people end up getting invited and when we all arrive at the restaurant it is him, his parents, his roommate, his roommates parents, his roommates girlfriend, and me.  I am obviously the odd ball.  I end up sitting a chair away from him.  Still wanting to play it cool and not be obvious until I figure this new found attraction out and also until I figure out his feelings towards me.  So I end up between his roommates parents and talking to them the whole evening.  I kept watching him out of the corner of my eye and I see that he is paying very close attention to my conversation.  At one point everyone starts talking about biking and he and his roommate are discussing a particular bike that they liked and wanted to get.  At one point he says, "Yeah, but if I ever get a girlfriend there will be other things I have to save for as opposed to a bike."  As soon as he says this he and I make eye contact for a few seconds it seems.  As I walked away my thought really was just a simple but very meaningful "Oh boy."


To be continued . . .

1 comment:

  1. As I walked away my thought really was just a simple but very meaningful "Oh boy."

    Yes! I can totally "hear" you thinking that! Can't wait for Part 3.

    ReplyDelete