Sunday, May 13, 2012

Confessions of A Chatty Girl: Not So Single White Female

Part 1

I have been batting around the idea of writing this post for some time.  I was debating whether or not y'all would really like to know or if it was just one of those things where I want to tell everyone whether they want to hear it or not.  Well after a little encouragement I decided that yes, I would indeed write this post and as the subject is sitting right next to me I find myself feeling even more inspired if for no other reason than to give a testimony as to how busy and gracious God has been in the last 3 and a half months :)

December 17, 2011
Christmas Party 

I had been at the party for a good 2 hours or so.  I had been chatting with a few people.  I really only knew one or two there so I was trying to make decent conversations with as many as I could to get to know people in my new town.  I had noticed this guy that I hadn't seen before.  He was hanging around a bunch of the other guys and seemed to know pretty much everyone at the party.  I was intrigued with the ease in which he carried himself but really beyond noticing that, he had kind of slipped into my peripheral as I became engaged in another conversation.  After that conversation ended I found myself refilling my punch glass.  I don't remember how he got to my side of the room but before I knew it I am introducing myself to him.  The next hour or 2 I found myself in the most relaxed and easy conversation I had had all night.  It might just have been the most easy and relaxed conversation I had ever had with a guy upon first meeting.  We were talking about anything and everything.  The conversation just flowed so naturally.  I was stunned with how comfortable I was.  And it wasn't just me doing all the talking.  This guy was talking my ear off, in a good way.

    - He had a degree in carpentry.
    - He went back to school to get his bachelors in Biblical Studies.
    - Once he finishes that he will go on to seminary in pursuit of becoming an associate pastor.
    - He was from the same area in Indiana that my dad was from.
    - He came to Chattanooga almost 7 years ago to work for a non profit inner city ministry.
    - He is handy and can fix pretty much anything in the house.
    - He loves to mountain bike.
    - He has a dog.
    - He loves having people over.
    - He has awesome taste in music and movies.

The more I talked to him the more I realized that this guy was something special.  But I can't say that I had those giddy school girl feelings or that instant crush.  I liked him but there wasn't a romantic interest.  However, as I walked back to my car that night I remember hearing my inner voice just say, "He is it."  I wasn't willing to admit quite that much to myself.  After all I had just met this guy but I was willing to acquiesce that he was going to play a very important role in my life, whatever that meant.

I get home from the party and as soon as I walk in Mandi and Sarah could both see on my face that I had something on my mind and that something interesting had happened at the party.  Their inquisitive looks soon won me over and I spilled the beans about this guy I had met.  After listening, they both asked tentatively "So, do you like him?"  Quite adamantly I said "No! I just met him. He was nice but I am not interested like that."  He was just a funny, kind guy who had talked to me and seemed to show some interest in me.  That was all nothing more.  I could tell by the looks on their faces and their pregnant "uh huh"s that they weren't buying it.  But I was not ready to admit anything more.

Over the next several days...

He friended me on Facebook and invited me to a New Years Eve party he and his roommate were throwing.  I was going to be moving into my apartment on New Years Eve so I wasn't sure if I would be able to make it but I said I would definitely try.  He offered to help me move in, but since I was still denying my interest in him I didn't take him up on it because in my mind I did not want to lead him on if he was interested in me.  When move in day arrived I had been sick for the last several days.  I had hoped I would get better in time for the party that night but it was not to be.  I ended up just staying home and sleeping.  But I made sure to write on his wall and tell him that I was sick and couldn't make.  I didn't want him to think I was blowing him off.  He was a sweet guy after all.

To be continued . . . 

No comments:

Post a Comment