Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Confessions Of A Chatty Girl: Not So Single White Female

Part 3

January 16, 2012
Monday - First day of CYAM book study

I had heard that he was going to be at Panera tonight.  Needless to say I was a little excited.  Over the past several days I had been talking to a few people about this guy that I had met and it had only served to make my crush turn to full blown swooning.  I get to Panera and there he is sitting with the rest of the guys.  Turns out I am the only girl there.  The only seat open is one next to him. SCORE!  I claim the chair and greet everyone.  He and I talked a little at first, again I felt so incredibly comfortable.  As the book study sporadically progressed, we alternated between talking about the book and he and I getting caught up in an entirely separate conversation.  After the book study was over we are all sitting around talking and he and I were completely enthralled in our own conversation.  To be honest, I kind of kept forgetting we weren't the only ones at the table.  At one point in the conversation I began telling a very dramatic and elaborate story about the night before and how I had bought a new and incredibly heavy TV stand and had a time and a half trying to get it into my apartment all by myself.  After I finished my story and all of the guys had a good laugh at my feminine frailty, he said, "You know you could have called a deacon to come and help you.  That is kind of what we are here for."  Ha! My plan worked perfectly.  Play the damsel in distress card and viola I have an in.  "Well, if I had a deacons number I would have called..."  Hint, hint, wink, wink, nudge, nudge.  He said, "Yeah, that's true . . ."Nothing.  He didn't get the hint.  Seriously?  He is not going to give me his number?  I practically just begged for it!  Okay, maybe he is a little off his game tonight, I'll give him a hand.  I reach in my purse grab my phone, open up my contacts, write his name in the new contact section and hand him my phone without a word.  He looks surprised at first but he enters his number and I text him so he now has mine.  On the outside I am calm and nonchalant but in my head I totally just gave myself a fist bump.  I go home that night pretty satisfied with myself.  Now that I had his number I needed to do something with it.  But what?  I call up my friend and tell her the story.  She says, "You know you do have some book shelves he could come and help you take apart."  "YOU ARE BRILLIANT!!"  

January 17, 2012
Tuesday - Bookshelves are dismantled

So the next day I text him.  "So if that offer to do deacon-like things still stands I have a job for you. I will make you food as payment." He accepts and we make plans for him to come over that night.  That night he shows up at my apartment.  I thought he was going to come in take apart the bookshelves get his food and leave but he casually walks in without a care in the world.  I show him where the shelves are.  He takes a look at them, says, "Yeah those won't be a problem."  Turns around and walks back out into the kitchen and settles in a bar stool and begins to chat.  Over the next hour or so we talk and eat and make each other laugh like we had known each other for ages.  When he finally gets around to taking apart the bookshelves I follow him into the room sit on my bed and we talk while he works.  There was not a break in the conversation the whole time.  We both were just chatting away like old friends.  And again I was struck by how comfortable I was.  I didn't feel like I had to be this overtly charming or witty person.  I could just completely and totally be myself with him.  He ended up staying for over 3 hours and we talked the entire time.  At one point I got up the nerve and asked, "So how are you still single?"  His response was, "God just hasn't brought the right one along yet I guess.  I am open to whatever God has. I am not to worried about it."   Another point in his favor.  As he was leaving he was mentioning that maybe he would try to get some people together this weekend if I was interested.  He said, "With everyone getting engaged or married or what have you, we don't really hang out like we used to."  I said, "Well, I am single and you are single so we can just hang out and be the single ones together."  He smiled and said he would text me later in the week if we were doing something.  We say good night and I close the door and I allow myself to let out a very small and very quiet squeal.

Over the next couple of days . . .

I wait not so patiently for that text message.  Turned out I didn't have to wait that long.  He texted me on Thursday and said "Want to come over for dinner tomorrow night and watch a movie?  My roommate and I will cook."  Needless to say I said yes.

January 20, 2012
Friday - Double date-like activity

I go over to Mandi's house before hand to get ready.  I was pretty giddy.  And Mandi just shook her head and gave me many "I knew it" looks and it was so true.  She knew before I did.  So, I get to his house and it is him, his roommate, his roommates girlfriend and me.  I had a feeling this wasn't going to be a big get together but I didn't want to get my hopes up and read more into it then there actually was, after all he could just be a really nice guy who wants to make the new girl feel welcome.  So when I walked into the house and saw the small company I was pretty pleased.  All four of us spent a fun evening together hanging out talking and laughing.  He cooked and the food was awesome!  We watched a movie and played darts and hung out for a while.  As I was leaving he was walking me out and he said, "So what are you doing tomorrow?" I said, "Hanging out with you."

January 21, 2012
Saturday - Our first official date

He took me out to dinner and we had an awesome time talking about our families, what growing up was like, our church backgrounds, etc.  It was so much fun and with every topic he got more and more impressive!  At the end of the evening as we were parting he said, "So, after church, what are you doing tomorrow?"  And he has been saying that almost every day since then :)

4 comments:

  1. This is awesome - so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rachel! I'm friends with Mark from our college days. We went to Westminster Pres together and were co-leaders of a small group during that time. I am so glad that Mark has found a great woman who truly appreciates him. Congratulations on your engagement! Hopefully I'll get to meet you sometime soon! And perhaps you can be inducted into the official Mark Miller Fan Club sometime this summer. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to meet you very soon too Kate! Thanks for the congratulations :D I have been waiting anxiously to be admitted into the fan club for quite some time so I am all for that!

      Delete
  3. We'll have to see if there are any more Mark Miller fan club t-shirts floating around somewhere.... :)

    ReplyDelete